Martin Parr, one of the famous photojournalists, said, “Photography is the simplest thing in the world, but it is incredibly complicated to make it work”. Well, we couldn’t agree more, and that is why we are discussing Canon Rebel SL1 vs Nikon D3300 in this article.
Today, our lives are surrounded and blessed by technology, but somehow, we all fantasize about the idea of being photographed or that one moment of our life being captured that we can enjoy the whole life.
You would be surprised to know that more than 1.8 billion digital images have been uploaded to the internet every day, but our main concern is, “can we call them all art? “
Sure, we have cameras in almost everything we use in our daily lives, such as Mobiles, laptops, tablets, security and spy cams. Even a toddler knows how to click an image or shoot a video with a mobile camera. I think it is safe to say that we all are living a digital life.
But can we call every image art or a photograph? Do you also feel like being part of the elite photography community? Or have people told you that your camera skills are more than ordinary?
If yes, then we have the perfect entry-level DSLR cameras for you. Canon Rebel SL1 and Nikon D3300 are the best quality, affordable, and high-resolution cameras to pursue your hobby or turn it into a professional journey.
Today, we will be doing detailed analysis and comparing the top 2 beginner’s level professional cameras, Canon rebel SL1 vs. Nikon D3300. We will not just talk about their lenses and resolution but size, body, feel, image and video quality, etc. We will give you a detailed analysis of the features, pros, and cons and why they are better than others?
So let’s find out which entry-level camera is better? Canon Rebel vs Nikon D3300!
|Canon Rebel SL1||Best lightweight and affordable traveler DSLR Camera|
|Nikon D3300||High resolution DSLR professional camera for beginners|
Comparison table of Canon Rebel SL1 vs Nikon D3300
|FEATURES||CANON REBEL SL1||NIKON D3300|
|Lens||Canon EF mount lens||Nikon F mount lens|
|Sensor||APS-C CMOS||APS-C CMOS|
|Screen Resolution||17.9MP||24.2 MP|
|Image resolution||5184×3456 pixels||6000×4000 pixels|
|Moire control||Anti-alias filter||No AA filter|
|Movie capability||1080/30p video||1080/60p video|
|ISO Setting||100-12,800extended to 25,600||100-12,800 extended to 25,600|
|DXO Quality score||63||82|
|LCD resolution||1040 k dots||921k dots|
|Touch input||Touchscreen||Not touchscreen|
|Continuous shooting||4.9 shutter flaps||5 shutter flaps|
|Weight and dimensions||407 gram4.6 x 3.6 x 2.7 inches||430 gram4.9 x 3.9 x 3.0 inches|
SL1 was launched in March 2013 as the smallest digital single reflex camera in the market. It belongs to the Canon Rebel series. Don’t worry, despite its age it is one of the advanced and smart DSLR cameras for beginners.
There is not much change when it comes to DSLR cameras. Moreover, professional photographers keep a DSLR kit with them to use with their cameras instead of buying a new one every time.
Without wasting the time, let’s dive into the specifications of the Canon Rebel SL1 in comparison of Canon Rebel SL1 vs Nikon D3300. We have divided these specifications into 6 categories for a detailed analysis.
1. General Specs
- It is a Canon SL1 model of the rebel series.
- It is a digital single lens reflex camera type with 18-55mm STM lens.
- It has a Canon EF mount lenses.
- It is a best housing camera under $599 with lens.
2. Sensor Specs
- It comes with a APS-C sensor format with CMOS sensor technology which is the same in Nikon D3300 as well.
- It has a sensor resolution of 17.9MP.
- It comes with an image resolution of 5184 x 3456 pixels to capture more realistic and accurate images.
- It has a moire control with anti-alias filter to avoid the artificial affects from the images.
- It comes with a DIGIC 5 image processor.
- It has movie capability of 1080/30p videos.
- It has the ISO range of 100-12,800 which can extend further to 25,600. Despite its small size it has a great sensitivity of films and light gathering ability to allow control over exposure.
- Its DXO sensors are very high considering its launch date and year (March 2013). It has an overall DXO quality score of 63 including color depth (21.8bits), dynamic range (11.3EV), and low light performance (843 ISO).
3. Screen Specs
- It is an optical viewfinder DSLR camera with 95% field view, ideal for small to mid-range wide angle depth shooting.
- It has a 3 inches fixed live-view LCD rear frame.
- It comes with a viewfinder magnification of 0.54x.
- It is a touch-sensitive LCD screen for easier and smoother control.
- It has a LCD resolution of 1040K dots which is much higher in comparison of Canon rebel SL1 vs Nikon D3300.
4. Shooting Specs
- It comes with Phase-detection Autofocus system with continuous shooting of 4.9 shutter flaps.
- It has a shutter life expectancy of 100,000 actuations.
- It comes with an In-built flash.
- It comes with an SDXC single card storage of UHS-1.
5. Connectivity Specs
- It also comes with a hotshoe for external flash connection or other accessories.
- It has USB connection port of 2.0.
- It also comes with a mini HDMI port, and external MIC port.
6. Body Specs
- Canon SL1 comes with LP-E12 battery type.
- It can take 380 shots at full battery capacity.
- It weighs only 407gram or 0.89 pounds as most of its body and lens boundaries are made of plastic and has an outer carbon fiber body which makes it lightweight and affordable with waterproof technology.
- It is the smallest digital single lens reflex camera in the market with dimensions 4.6 x 3.6 x 2.7 inches.
Why Canon Rebel SL1 Better than Others?
If you are looking for a compact mirrorless DSLR camera with good image shooting and fast live-view capturing quality then no other entry-level professional camera can stand against Canon Rebel SL1. It is a small and easy to use single lens reflex camera with a touch screen.
It is ideal for the mid-range lenses of 18-55mm DSLR kits. You can shoot both semi-wide angles and much smaller angles with perfection. It comes with 4.9 shutter flaps and has no lags which allows you to shoot fast and continuous with accuracy in comparison to high-end professional cameras.
SL1 offers you the smallest yet traditional underwater system of DSLR cameras with less hassle. EOS 100D is half the size and weight of other underwater DSLR camera housings which makes it more desirable as you don’t have to drag yourself underwater while carrying a heavy DSLR camera in effort to capture some good shots.
Unless you don’t have very large hands you won’t face any handling or controlling issues with EOS rebel 100D in comparison of Canon Rebel SL1 vs Nikon D3300. Its ergonomic design allows the user to navigate through menus and controls without any issue. Moreover, you can use both buttons and touch screen to explore the controls and different elements of Rebel SL1. It is the best affordable and durable DSLR camera for travelers, beginners, and learners.
Nikon is known for producing some high-end professional cameras for beginners at budget friendly prices. D3300 is no different. It comes with a large battery capacity with ability to capture the perfect light and dark shots with higher resolutions. Thanks to its moderate and high-quality sensor technology.
No doubt while doing the comparison of Canon rebel SL1 vs Nikon D3300. It is a heavyweight and large size camera with no touch screen but it does make up for all these scenarios with its 24.2 MP lens, high movie capability and wide shooting feature along with ability to capture wide angles form semi-mid-range to wide range.
Nikon D3300 was launched in January 2014 after 9 months of the Canon Rebel SL1. It has been 7 years, but industry experts still find D3300 a better beginners professional digital single lens reflex camera for photography.
It comes with an easy to use menu and control system. It’s equipped with a wide range of lenses which helps you to explore and increase your knowledge to capture the perfect angle with different lenses. It has some other updated versions as well such as 3400 and 3500 but they are too expensive for a beginner unless you can afford them.
We have divided the specifications of Nikon D3300 into the same 6 categories as before so you can get a fair and honest analysis of Canon rebel vs Nikon D3300. Nikon D3300 is 9 months younger than EOS rebel 100D but they have many similarities and few life altering decision making differences.
- It is digital single lens reflex camera type from Nikon model no- D3300.
- It comes with Nikon F mount lenses ideal for 18-55mm types
- It is a more in-budget camera in comparison to the Canon rebel SL1 vs Nikon D3300.
- It also comes in APS-C sensor format with CMOS sensor technology.
- It comes with a crop factor of 1.5x vs 1.6x in comparison to Canon rebel SL1 vs Nikon D3300. It provides you with better attention and allows you to highlight the smallest detail with efficiency.
- It comes with a 24.2 MP screen resolution which is way higher than any other professional DSLR camera in this price range.
- It provides higher image resolution of 6000 x 4000 pixels.
- It comes with the pixel density of 6.55MP/cm square.
- It comes with a movie capability of 1080/60p video.
- It is equipped with new EXPEED 4 image processor.
- It has overall DXO sensor quality Score of 82 including color depth (24.3bits), dynamic range(12.8EV), and low light performance(1385 ISO) which is way better in comparison of Canon rebel SL1 vs Nikon D3300.
- It has a similar ISO setting of 100-12,800 with additional boost up to 25,600.
- It comes with Optical viewfinder with 95% field view similar to EOS 100D but it has higher viewfinder magnification of 0.57x when compare to Canon rebel SL1 vs Nikon D3300.
- It comes with a rear LCD 3 inches fixed screen.
- It has a LCD resolution of 921K dots.
- It comes with a keypad control panel with a variety of control and technical features. It is the best camera for beginners as it allows them to explore and learn various technicalities and features.
- It is not a touch sensitive screen which allows anyone to handle it with perfection.
- It comes with a Phase-detection Autofocus system.
- It comes with continuous shooting of 5 shutter flaps without any lags.
- It has a shutter life expectancy of 100,000 actuations.
- It is equipped with built-in flash system.
- It comes with single slot SDXC card.
- It can only support UHS-1 cards.
- It comes with a hotshoe for connecting external flash.
- It has a 2.0 USB connector.
- It comes with mini HDMI port, external MIC port with no WIFI and Bluetooth connectivity.
- It has a battery type of EN-EL 14a.
- It can take 700 shots at full battery. It has a much larger battery capacity in comparison to the Canon Rebel SL1 vs Nikon D3300.
- It weighs 430gram or 0.94 pounds which still lighter in comparison to other high-end professional cameras.
- Nikon D3300 is a big size DSLR camera with an attractive look. Dimensions are 4.9 x 3.9 x 3.0 inches.
Why Nikon D3300 Better than Others?
Nikon D3300 comes with 24.2 MP screen resolution with wide and unique dimensions and sensors to capture every moment from any angle with perfection. It offers more in-depth resolutions and a vibrant and natural range of colors.
It is known for capturing the right shades of light and dark without giving an artificial look to the video or images. It comes with a much longer battery life or CIPA which allows you to take 700 shots at single charge.
It is equipped with advanced cutting-edge technology combined with EXPEED 4 image processor. It allows you to capture wide and medium range pics with minute details and accuracy. This camera is easy to control and handle especially for beginners of any age group in comparison to Canon Rebel SL1 vs Nikon D3300.
Canon Rebel Vs Nikon D3300 – A Detailed Comparison
Photography is a complex and expensive hobby that requires passion, focus, and attention to detail. Therefore, you need a camera to capture the moments that you want to capture and exactly how you want.
You need a camera that is not just a photography tool but an extension to your eyes, hands and mind. Professional photography cameras and kits are primarily expensive and need a lot of care.
Many people might suggest you start with old or second-hand cameras that are tried and tested so that you don’t waste your money and effort. But let me tell you, it is the worst advice ever when it comes to photography.
Your camera is like your body’s part. It is very important for a photographer to connect with its camera and know it’s In and out. We understand money can be a big concern; that is why we are bringing you the most advanced entry-level DSLR cameras that fall right into your budget and will introduce you to the technicalities and mechanics of the professional cameras.
Both Canon and Nikon are reliable brands and have produced some cutting-edge entry-level DSLR cameras. We are doing the comparison between Canon rebel sl1 vs Nikon D3300 because they fall into the same age bracket and have mostly similar features and technology but still, they are very different from each other.
Canon Rebel SL1 or EOS Rebel SL1 is one of the smallest and lightweight cameras in the market with a touchscreen LCD known as traveler’s companion. It comes with an APS-C CMOS sensor and offers a variety of functions.
On the other hand, Nikon D3300 is cheaper than Canon Rebel SL1 but doesn’t offer a touch screen facility. It delivers high-quality image and video quality with multiple functions.
So without further ado, let’s check out what these cameras stand for individually and how they are different or better than one another. Let’s do a detailed technical analysis of Canon Rebel SL1 vs Nikon D3300.
Buying Guide: Canon Rebel SL1 and Nikon D3300
- Image Quality: After reading this article and camera reviews, you should be able to make the decision. There is no point in buying a camera if it does not take a better and clear picture than your phone, or at least it should offer more features than your phone does. It is not simple. The camera should be capable of capturing photographs better than mobile phones, otherwise, it is of no use.
- Ergonomics: If you can’t physically handle the camera in your local camera store, you’ll have to make an educated selection based on your reader reviews. Is it big? And does it have a good grip? Are you able to handle the camera and the essential buttons to look up on which suits your hand?
- Size and Weight: No matter what type of photos you click on, you’ll need to consider a camera with the proper size and weight. Do you want something portable while travelling, small and compact? Or something big and bulky with a large superzoom? Remember, if you’re travelling and your camera is heavy, you might take fewer photos and miss the important moments.
- Availability of lenses that suit your Budget: If you choose a fixed lens camera, then there’s no need to consider this factor. But if you opt for an interchangeable lens camera, you need to look at other lenses that fit with the camera you are choosing so I can easily upgrade the lens.
- Controls: You need to consider which controls, switches, dials. Do the important and needy controls fall near your fingers? Most cameras have physical controls, which people don’t like, so you need to check this as per your personal experience. While most cameras have fewer controls where you need to change settings manually. You will need to change most of the settings by a menu option, which is in the touch-screen LCD, which can be useful for many of you out there. Mirrorless models and SLR’s have physical controls which helps you to change the settings easily and quickly.
After a detailed analysis and comparison of Canon Rebel SL1 VS Nikon D3300. We have reached only one conclusion: both cameras are extraordinary and have great professional DSLR camera features to offer beginners.
Canon SL1 is the best traveling camera due to its lightweight compact size and easy to use touch screen which allows direct and fast control to multiple features. It is one of the fastest, lightweight, compact and underwater accurate fast imaging cameras.
Whereas, Nikon D3300 is more advanced and laced with cutting-edge technology and a wide variety of features. Despite its anti-alias feature, it has better image and screen resolution. It has higher DXO scores which makes it more accurate for shooting video and images. Nikon D3300 is more affordable and has excellent image quality in comparison to Canon Rebel SL1 and Nikon D3300.